The New Job.

The first few days of a new job are never easy.  Those days are even harder when you're working in a field completely different from anything you've done before.
I've worked as a retail associate at a clothing store (Hollister).  I've worked as a hostess at a restaurant (The Egg and I).  I currently work part time as an assistant at a tutoring center (Kumon).  In early February, I was  interviewed for both retail and lab positions at an optical. Now, I work there as a part time lab technician.

This new job has been a completely different environment overall.  I work in the lab with a bunch of guys.  Yes, most the retail associates are girls but the lab is a bit separated.  There are no more than 3 people working at once, but it's strange being the only girl.  It's not strange in a "these guys make me feel uncomfortable" way, but more of a "do I want to hear where this story is going" way.  My coworkers in the lab all have years of experience behind them, which made me more nervous since I had no experience.

Working in a lab, generating and cutting lenses, and putting together glasses isn't like anything I've ever done.  The machines are a bit large, slightly loud, and kind of intimidating at first sight.  Actually one still intimidates me, but I'm working on it.  Thinking back to my first day, it all seems like a giant blur. I remember trying to retain everything during my first full tour of the lab. It didn't all stick, but I did try.  There are so many different kinds of lenses, tools, processes, and steps that factor into each pair of glasses.  After almost 2 months, I still ask tons questions and have my coworkers double check my work.

I've learned that there is really no guaranteed way to get over the nervousness and feel 100% comfortable at a new job. If there is someone needs to let me know ASAP, because that would be really helpful.  The past 2 months have been a challenging adjustment for me.  I wasn't sure how much I would actually like being a lab technician or even how good I would even be at it.  It turns out, I actually love working in the lab.  I still have a lot to learn, but  I don't foresee it being that much of a problem with the coworkers I have.

Look! I even got an official, fancy name tag.


[Note: I do realize that I didn't mention the name of my new workplace. It was intentional.]


Comments

  1. As much as it sucks I don't think that anxiety of starting at a new place ever goes away :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Words of wisdom?

Popular Posts