Love & Marriage.

and why I have one and don't want the other.

Yet.

Love.
About 4.5 years ago, I met someone who has impacted my life since the night we met. He accepts me with my flaws, insecurities, and sarcasm. Yes, I did just include my sarcasm in that. I have a lot of sarcasm and I don't think anyone else would have put up with it the way he has. We've both grown and matured in ways that would've been impossible without each other. Over the past 4.5 years, my life has changed in more ways than I can even count. But through it all, I’ve had him by my side (not literally) to support me, encourage me, and remind me that everything happens for a reason.
They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? I can’t speak for others, but I know it is true for me. Distance has also made life a bit more stressful and made me sad quite often. Don’t get me wrong I’m so happy that I’ve found the person that I plan on spending the rest of my life with, but seriously bhagwan why’d you have to put him so far away? I know 265 miles or about 4 hours of driving isn't super far, but it's not a quick trip that either of us could make.
The icing on the love cake? His family loves me already.

Marriage. 
So I’ve fallen in love and won over his family. Why not get married?!
If I had a dollar for every person that asked me when I was getting married, I’d be rich. Seriously. I could BUY ALL THE BOOKS.
I love the idea of getting married and being able to spend all my free time with him, but there’s so much more to marriage than that. What's my biggest reason for not wanting to get married? I’m not ready to carry the responsibility that comes with marriage. The thought of having my actions reflect on not just my parents, but my husband, and my in-laws scares the crap out of me. I’m 23 years old now, and I’m bound to make mistakes. Probably a lot of them, because mistakes are part of learning and growing. I know for some people that’s a great age to get married. I mean my mom was 19 when she got married, but that was a totally different time and way of life. I’m not where I want to be in life just yet. I want to at least have some of optometry school / graduate school started before my financial burden falls onto someone else. The way my family (mostly my dad and grandparents) sees it, once I’m married I have no say in this family. You know, the same family that raised me for 23 years. Yeah, they won’t be mine. I’ll be a guest in my own family and I’m really not ready for that.



Comments

Popular Posts