The Proposal

August has been a crazy month so far, and its only a week in. After 5 years of being in a relationship with my best friend, he finally proposed. Yes, we were already technically promised to each other when his family came down in April, but Roshan never got around to proposing to me.  He kept hinting that he was going to propose before our engagement ceremony (which was August 14th!), but it didn't happen so I was trying not to get my hopes up too much.




I went to bed Friday night only knowing that I needed to be ready by 11am on Saturday, August 9th. Anyone that knows me knows how much I hate surprises and not knowing what's going on.  Of course 11am rolls around, I'm ready and nothing happens.  I wish I had saved the Snapchats that happened because of that.
At 11:30, my mom comes back into the house and hands me a gift bag that had a cute pair of sandals, a rose, and my first clue.



There was one tiny confusing part about my clue, but I did figure it out pretty quickly. Honestly,  I still can't believe Roshan used one of my places of employment as a holding spot for my clue.  It didn't really surprise me at all that my manager gave me a hard time before actually giving me my first clue. My manager may have had me thinking I was in the wrong place for a second.




Rhymes with Meryl Streep?  Seriously?  I'm surprised I even figured it out.  It took a bunch of failed guesses from my coworkers and myself before I got it.  The dress he got me wasn't only beautiful,  but it fit perfectly.   Our brunch date added to the amazing day.  When our food arrived, the waitress also brought another rose and my next clue. The temptation to get the clue was so strong, I actually opened the envelope before eating. Roshan stopped me before I read anything though.  I had a Red Velvet Waffle. I don't know why I had never had one before because it tastes amazing.  I finished my waffle surprisingly fast for someone who is normally a slow eater. Maybe it was because of how amazing it was. Or maybe the anticipation for the next clue.  Or both. Okay, it was both.



Clue 3 was a lot harder than clue 2, mainlu because I had no idea where we would find birds. It took a few guesses before I figured out we were going to a Nature Preserve.  Luckily, Roshan drove from there so I didn't have to. It wasn't the ideal day to go to the nature preserve since it rained the night before, but it was actually beautiful when you kook passed the bugs and humidity. We wandered around the preserve looking for a gazeebo-likr overlook thanks to an old man that let us have his map.  When we got to the overlook, the breeze and the view were both kind of perfect. Then Roshan gave me my next clue.




I'm all for dancing, but music is necessary.  That's where Roshan's singing came in. Our entire relationship,  this was the first time Roshan sang for me in person.  He sang "The Girl" by City and Colour while we slow danced.  If you've heard the song and kept up with my life, you'd definitely notice how fitting the sing is. Which, of course, made me a little emotional.
After our slow dance, we just stayed in each other's arms until Roshan took out my next clue.




I hope that blank card confused you as much as it confused me that day.
Me: "It's blank."
Roshan: "That's because the rest is up to you. Will you help write the rest of our story together?"

He got down on one knee and held out the ring. I was feeling all kinds of emotional. Of course, I said yes. I was so excited and happy that I held out my right hand instead of my left.  Luckily I caught myseld before he actually put the ring on the wrong hand.

Even though I knew the proposal was coming, it still felt so amazing to get more reassurance that I am going to get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.

Post Proposal.
Pre Engagement Ceremony.

Comments

Popular Posts