I am the Daughter of Immigrants

and although I am not Muslim, I do not feel safe in Trump's America.

Even before Trump and his executive orders, I hated going to the airport and crossing checkpoints (mainly because I have to cross a checkpoint just to leave the Rio Grande Valley and get to the rest of Texas). I understand that safety is important, but targeting specific types of people because of the color of their skin or the "uniqueness" of their name doesn't sit well with me. Even though I know I've done nothing wrong, I can't help but feel nervous and jittery when I have to go through security anywhere.

Out of all those experiences, one is always in the back of my mind haunting me. Graduating from college with my Bachelors in Science is (to date) my greatest accomplishment. As a graduation gift/trip, my brother and I decided to go to New York City. After clearing TSA with no issues, we waited at our gate to board. Because of assigned seating, my brother has never been one to rush and wait in line to board a plane so we waited towards the end to board. Before we could I saw two TSA agents (one male and one female) approaching us. They asked me to step aside for additional screening. And at that moment, I realized it would never matter how old I was or how many degrees I had because my brown skin would make someone uncomfortable. The TSA agents were both polite (luckily, because I've heard the horror stories) and asked if I wanted to be taken to a private room to be screened. I said no.Why? Because I had already gone through the body scanner, like everyone else. I had already proved I was safe to fly. I wanted to be strong and not hide that this was happening. After being patted down and cleared for the 2nd time, I was allowed to board my flight. I was the last one on the plane, but I held it together until I was at my seat.  Even writing about it now brings back those feelings of embarrassment and anger. December 2012 was memorable for me in so many good ways, but this one experience will always be the rain cloud in that memory.

My father left India for Panama at the age of 18 (the amount of money in his pockets varies every time he tells the story). He worked odd jobs here and there so he could send money back to India for his family. My mother left India for Panama to marry my father. They were immigrants in Panama trying to make a living during the time Manuel Noriega was in power/dictating/power-tripping. My parents left their lives in Panama to come to the United States for the safety of their children.  My brother and I were both born in San Francisco, California. Our family lived in an apartment with our grandparents and two uncles. Everything my parents have worked for was for us. Everything they left in both India and Panama was for my brother and I to have a better life than they did. They wanted us to have opportunities they didn't have and the safety they didn't have in Panama.

And now, less than 30 years since my parents immigrated to the United States, our safety is threatened again. Or maybe we always just had a false sense of safety. Banning immigrants from majority Muslim countries does not just effect Muslims. It effects everyone that doesn't fit in the "cookie cutter" idea that Trump and his administration have for this country. I'm doing my best to stay positive, stay strong, stay informed and be involved in what is going on. How do you want to remember the next four years?




Comments

Popular Posts