Loss.

I have been fortunate enough to have all four of my grandparents alive for all the significant events in my life. But no one lives forever.




On June 1st, I lost my paternal grandfather. Even as I sit here typing this, I cannot believe he is really gone. I know my grandfather isn't suffering anymore and that is probably the main reason why I'm doing okay. For years, my grandfather was bound to a wheelchair, depending on others for basic daily tasks. Through everything, he never let me see him sad or hurting. 

No conversations ever felt like they would be the last. I naively thought that there would always be more time.

I am trying to not have any regrets, but I do. I wish I had spent more time with him. I wish I had called more often. I wish I had visited more. But hindsight is 20/20.

Life doesn't always give us what we want, but always what we need. I will always cherish the memories I have of my grandfather. He will always be in my heart.

I hope I meet you in my next life Dada.



India December 2015

Comments

Popular Posts