So, I'm Engaged!

Well, kind of.




If you've been following my blog (or my life), you're probably thinking, "didn't she say she didn't want to get married yet?".  You're right. I did say that.  My feelings on marriage haven't changed.  The circumstances, however, have changed drastically.

I won't go into details with the "why" in all this, because the "how" is a much more entertaining story.

About two weeks ago, I finally openly told my dad about my boyfriend, Roshan.  He already had a feeling there was someone in my life, but I avoided confirming his suspicions until that night.  It took me a good hour of sitting with him to finally come out and say it.  He was oddly quiet.  He just asked me a few questions about him then let it go.  I honestly had no idea whether his silence was a good or bad thing.  The next night, we sat down as a family and had a serious talk about our relationship.  Like any concerned parents, mine wanted to know if our relationship was serious and if we were truly happy with each other.  After a long, and very emotional discussion, we called my grandparents in India and told them about it.  The conversation with my grandparents was a whole lot easier than I thought it would be.  I assumed my grandparents would have an issue with my choosing an Indian that wasn't Bhakta, but their only real concern was my happiness.

Last week, after multiple phone calls back and forth and quick planning, Roshan's family came on Friday night to officially talk to my family about me, ask for my hand, and give us their blessings.  I spent most of Friday running errands and trying to keep my nervous butterflies at bay. After 4.5 years, it's nice knowing that seeing Roshan still gives me butterflies.  I can't begin to describe how amazing it feels to have our families' blessings.  Being able to openly talk to Roshan and his family makes me feel closer to them all.  This summer is going to be filled with meeting  family members, which seems extra daunting right now, but I'm glad I'll have my best friend right there with me.

So India, I hope you'll be ready for us in December 2015.  


Comments

Popular Posts